Thursday 31 January 2013

The Perfect Gift



A friend of mine once told me that the only things in life that are worth collecting are experiences. She came to this idea after thieves had stolen all the valuables from her house twice in one year. She said that the only things nobody can take from you are your good memories and since that unpleasant year, she no longer wants any jewellery or expensive gifts to be given. She now collects good memories.
I really like this idea and found it to be very true. If you think back on life, there are very few physical things to remember that have made you happy. Most of our good memories are related to experiences.
So when I had a tough time deciding what to give to my husband as a birthday present, I remembered my friend’s new philosophy of life. Suddenly my task to find the perfect gift turned out to be very easy.
I discovered that there are many internet sites where you can buy an experience as a gift and the variety is wide. You can choose everything from SPA-days to hot air balloon rides. I decided to buy a supercar driving experience from a webpage called Buyagift  I could not decide whether to go for a Ferrari or Aston Martin and took them both. The gift voucher was sent to my home in a beautifully decorated box. I was really pleased! 
When the big day came I was so excited and could not wait for my husband to open the present. He was really surprised and very happy when he saw his gift. I was thrilled.
There are many locations where you can take your drive, and we booked a place in Surrey. It was quite a cold November day, but thankfully there was a nice cafe where we could buy hot drinks to keep ourselves warm. There were lots of men (and a few women) waiting for their turn to try out their favourite cars. They looked like children in a candy shop - so happy and so excited!
To begin the introduction was carried out, the rules were explained and there was a test run on the racing track.  And then the fun began! The first car that my husband drove was an Aston Martin. My husband is quite a tall man and he had a hard time trying to fit in to the car (there are limits to height and weight), but once in there, he enjoyed the ride enormously. The kids and I waited beside the track and although we tried to take photos, we failed absolutely because the car went past just too fast. He drove three circuits and then changed cars and drove another three in a Ferrari.
I haven’t seen my husband that happy in a long time! He said that it was the best gift he has ever had and the expression on his face showed his delight!

By Eva Unt

Visit the FOCUS website www.focus-info.org 

No comments:

Post a Comment