Tuesday 9 April 2013

Time to Boast...



Time to boast…

From a city shrouded by gloomy cloud cover and an air of desperation in peoples voices speaking of nothing but the unseasonable weather, came a ray of light. Bright and full of hope the light uncovered a city boasting of spectacular sights no matter where one turned one's eye.This was the View From The Shard!

With many locals wisely taking retreat over the Easter holidays in warmer 'climes', London has felt rather deserted and lonely.  The relative quiet of the city combined with the forecast for a welcome sunny Sunday morning created the perfect opportunity to take in one of London's newest attractions. And so I sped through the sleepy streets south of the river with the sight of the Shard becoming ever more impressive.  This is a building which I, like many, could not quite visualise as having a sympathetic space in a city which, while admittedly having an eclectic architecture, does have a relatively predictable height. With curiosity I have marvelled at the Shard's construction and the brave and talented builders who have brought it to life.




As I approached the Shard I knew it would be an amazing experience to see London from above, but I had no idea just how impressed I would be by the architecture of the building from the inside out and what lay beneath.  Being the 5th person to enter the building on this sunny morning meant that I was able to take in every aspect at a relaxed and uninterrupted pace. From the attendants that guide you to the lift, first to the 33rd floor and then on to the 69th floor, to the lift itself and finally to The View From The Shard, I was treated to a most spectacular adventure. I took in the view from the partially exposed 72nd floor first.  What a feast to the eye London's sights are from above! I was like a kid in a candy shop pointing out parks, stadiums, rivers and landmark buildings galore. The floor to ceiling glass allows for an uninterrupted view of the world below.  The design of the building means that from the inside you can view the outside construction giving a wonderful juxtaposition to the views of London and an appreciation for the building which became an icon even before its completion. Spending one and a half hours over the two viewing floors I was finally ready for the descent.


Back on the street all that was familiar seemed so up close and larger than life.  I had acclimated to the view from above and it felt almost peculiar to be back at ground level.

I walked back through an awakening Borough Market which had been decidedly asleep only several hours before. With the bustle of tourists now approaching the Shard I felt a spring in my step and a greater appreciation for this amazing city I call home.  London certainly has a lot to boast about and if ever I forget, the Shard will call me back!

By: Nancy Dickinson

Visti the FOCUS website www.focus-info.org



No comments:

Post a Comment