Monday 21 October 2013

The Pursuit of Beauty


What is it that drives the antique collector? Is it more than just the hunt? The hunt needs to have a purpose. I believe it is the pursuit of the beautiful, that satisfaction of having an object touched by hand and made with imagination that speaks to the soul. 

LAPADA, the Association of Art and Antique Dealers held its 5th annual fair at Berkley Square at the end of September.  This Fair has become an essential visit for those in the pursuit of beautiful things: the pieces of furniture, textiles, silver, ceramics or art that will add to your collections. Because many of the dealers come from outside London, it is a chance to see the best the country has to offer.

When I visited the fair I saw many of the loveliest pieces from collectors and dealers. Being a designer, I find endless inspiration from fairs like LAPADA. It gives me a chance to see pieces of work that are usually only seen in museums. But throughout years that I have been advising on art and antiques I can’t help but notice even antiques go through fashions. 



This year I noticed less Gustavian influence and more of the rich, warm and mellow mahogany furniture from the 18th and early 19th centuries. Graceful and elegant, these pieces of furniture are always an investment, but make such a statement in a home or office. Early 20th century and modern pieces are still favourites though, with smooth lines and soft colours.




When I was a kid, fashion illustrations were some of the first drawings and designs that caught my eye in newspapers when I was a kid. They have been a favourite of collectors, starting with Erte, in the early 20th century. This show had the original illustrations by Eva Aldbrook which were commissioned by The Sunday Times fashion pages in 1956. They were shown by Gray Modern & Contemporary Art and this was the first time they have been seen since publication… very exciting. It was a delight to see them, the fresh lines, shapes and watercolours all created that elegance of 50's glam. 

As I looked at them I couldn't help but think of fashion illustrators today working on Illustrator and Photoshop, what will we have in the future? We’ll have to look into a crystal ball to find out!

Written by Kelly Fannon who writes for the FOCUS Magazine and who has a passion for antiques, art and interior design. 

For more information on Focus visit: www.focus-info.org

No comments:

Post a Comment