Thursday 8 May 2014

Japanese Tea Ceremony and Kimono Show at The Army and Navy Club 'The RAG'

 I attended this event organised by The Women’s Council on Tuesday 25th March, 2014. Everyone was excited on arrival as this was the first time many of us experienced such a special ceremony. A Japanese member of  The Council, Kimoko, was hosting the event. She introduced us to her helpers for the day, some students and first-time arrivals to the UK, who were going to help her with the art of Japanese Tea ceremony in the adjoining room, whilst she was demonstrating the art of wearing the Kimono. The guests were asked to select which they would like to attend first, either the Japanese Tea ceremony or the Kimono show, and separated into the different rooms.

The guests for the Kimono display were lead to a scrumptious display of pastries and sandwiches for
our afternoon English tea. As Kimoko suggested having the English tea first, as the Japanese tea is strong and may upset delicate tummies if we were to have it first.  While Kimoko unveiled the different pieces of the Kimono, I was approached and asked to be the model, but first had to wash my hands and undress. Kimoko took me away and after undressing, she tied a white petticoat to my waist and asked me to wear a pure white kimono, the traditional underwear. I was then lead out back where she first tied a string rope to my waist, then she put the actual ‘Komon kimono’ (ie single pattern
throughout) on me. More cumberbands, a strong piece of ‘cardboard’ and an exquisite piece of embroidered silk, ‘obi’, she deftly tied into place whilst I stood still. I was asked by the spectators whether it ‘was not too tight’ and ‘could I breathe?’. Yes ! I was really comfortable, posing as guests’cameras flashed continuously. Kimoko then put plain white socks on my feet and I was surprised to see that there were clasps on the side above the ankles to ensure a tight fit on the legs. Upon wearing the slippers, I had truly turned Japanese!!! I was then asked to parade and show the other guests the whole regalia connected with wearing a kimono.
After I put my usual clothes back on, I was invited to the Japanese Tea ceremony, which was demonstrated with elegance and precision. The many different movements in preparing a tiny cup of Japanese tea is a tradition of past ages, not to be shortcut:

- the boiling of the water to a certain temperature; the delicate spooning of powdered tea into the cup; the whisking until the tea is frothy, which also cools it slightly; then the facing of the design of the cup to the recipient, bowing to offer the tea; the recipient accepting it with both hands, bowing thanks in return; turning the cup before sipping, wiping the cup with the fingers and wiping it on the tissue which is on the inside lapel of the kimono, before returning the cup to the brewer.

Learning about the Japanese traditions was a most enlightening time for all who attended this fabulous Japanese Tea Ceremony and Kimono Dressing Demonstrations. It is something I will never forget!





Written by Irene Kuan. Irene is Director of Finance at FOCUS.

For more information about FOCUS visit:  www.focus-info.org




No comments:

Post a Comment