Thursday 4 September 2014

Devon!



Do you holiday in Britain? When I first moved to London from the States I used all my holiday time to either visit family and friends back ‘home’ or explore Europe which I could not believe was on my doorstep. However, it was not long after I married a Brit who had grown up taking holidays in South West Devon that I experienced my first English holiday. Since my initial visit, nearly 20 years ago, I have been captivated. We return to Devon nearly every year for what we have now adopted as a family tradition of our own.

Parts of Devon are simply stunning. The county is known for its natural beauty including rolling green hills, beautiful beaches, rustic towns and above all plenty of open space. Devon is simply stunning.

Each year we return to a small town on the Southwest coast called Salcombe (about 4 hours by car from London). Colourfully painted houses dot the hill that leads down to the quaint and lively harbour. Although we spend much of the day sailing there is plenty to do for tourists of all ages.

Various companies run ferries to the small local beaches as well as up the estuary to the nearest large town, Kingsbridge.  One of
the shortest ferry rides runs on the half hour between Salcombe and South Sands Beach near the mouth of the estuary.  When the ferry pulls up to South Sands a sea tractor comes and meets the ferry which itself is like a quintessential bath tub toy- too adorable for words! Once at South Sands one can easily spend the day on the water renting lasers, paddle boards and kayaks. Several years ago a new contemporary boutique hotel opened on the waterfront. While I have not stayed there I have enjoyed delicious lunches while watching the activity on the beach below.

Those feeling more energetic can walk half mile up the hill to the stunning National Trust property and gardens called Overbecks. This property is really a hidden treasure. The subtropical gardens took me by total surprise on my first visit, an unexpected treat. Walking through the gardens viewing Salcombe in the distance through the leaves of the palm trees made me wonder if I was really still in England. Of course the delicious cream teas are also not to be missed!

Once you have refuelled yourself you will be ready for the further challenge of the coastal walk to Bolt Head. Get out your hiking boots and be prepared for a stunning coastal walk. The journey takes you up the cliffs and to the jagged rocks known as Bolt Head.

After an active day I suggest returning to one of the many pubs or restaurants back in the village of Salcombe.  If you have teens they may opt to hang out at  The Bakery where crepes are sold throughout the evening. The pub life is lively in the evening and the small street that runs though town is mostly pedestrian with hardly a car to be seen after dark.

Many holiday cottages are rented out by the week from the most basic to the most luxurious but if you are looking for a spa experience you may want to check out the Sacombe Harbour Hotel and Spa, recently renovated and certainly worth a visit for a cocktail to take in the view of the harbour.

While I am biased, I do encourage you to book a very English holiday; you can not go wrong with a week or weekend in  Salcombe!



Written by Nancy Dickinson.  Nancy is Deputy Executive Director at FOCUS.

For more information please visit www.focus-info.org

1 comment:

  1. The Devon is an ancient county of the England. It is situated in the South West part of this country. I visited it for a very short time last year but now I am going again there after completing my niagara falls tours from Toronto. I have made a list of its attractions that I could not see it during my last trip. I have mentioned in it many places like Lundy, Burgh Island, Trago Mills Leisure Park, National Marine Aquarium Plymouth, South West Coast Part, The Milky Way, Powderham Castle and Babba combe Model Village. What do you think do Nancy should I explored them all? Is it will be a nice and memorable tour for me?

    ReplyDelete