Thursday 13 November 2014

It’s a small world… of SMILEY FACES!




This week I had the privilege to be invited to attend a very Malaysian morning at the High Commission. I had been invited by my Malaysian colleague and what a delightful event it was! Arriving at their grand house on Belgrave Square, accompanied by my perpetually grinning friend, I was greeted by some of the most smiley hosts I have ever met, who directed us to their main room where we were to watch a typical show.

The event started with a Master of Ceremony who concisely explained the different cultural influences that this multi-coloured country has been through the centuries, until it became independent in 1957. An initial ‘speech’ which could have been a somehow tedious affair, ended up being anything but, thanks to this witty, understated smiling MC. He explained that even the very typical performance of music and dance we were about to see was influenced by Dutch, English, Indian, Chinese, Portuguese, Sri Lankan and Indonesian cultures; the melting pot which is this vibrant country. And so the band began to play and the dancers came in, one by one, all with colourful and beautiful smiles on their faces.

When I looked at the audience around me I noticed that, like me, they were also made up of representatives of very different and sometimes exotic countries. But what really struck me was the fact that the Malaysian smile is contagious. At the end of the performance, and after most of the audience had clapped and chanted at the lovely music we were listening to, we were all invited to join in on the stage (or should I say dance floor). For another 20 minutes most of us were having so much fun dancing with total strangers…and every single person was smiling.

As the party continued we were invited for a typical lunch, with several dishes and deserts, again influenced by very different cultures. So, different tastes, different looks, different religions, different music and instruments, all mixed up in a melting pot that defines this country: welcoming, warm and accepting of all kind of differences…with an inviting and colourful smile!



Written by Valeria Fleury. Valeria  is FOCUS Director of  Membership.

For more information about FOCUS visit:  www.focus-info.org

No comments:

Post a Comment