Thursday 22 January 2015

Sky Garden or... London Observatory?!





My family and I went to Sky Garden last Saturday and I wanted to share the experience.

It is at 20 Fenchurch Street in the City, inside the brand new ‘walkie-talkie’ building. There are three restaurants and if you book a table at any of them, your name will be at reception to enter the building (or check in counter).  But if you just want to go visit the public area, you must book in advance at http://skygarden.london/.  Once you arrive through the side entrance (off Fenchurch), you must check in, get your pass and go through security to get to the lifts, so arrive at least 20 minutes in advance. At this stage, the experience feels a bit like airport check-in. 
 
As far as the ‘garden’ part of it goes, I must say I was expecting more. The place looks rather cold and grey (continuing on the airport theme?). Yes, there are some plants and even a few benches surrounded by greenery
and some flowers, but if the experience you are after is
of an ‘indoor park’, you might want to wait until it matures
a bit.

On a more (and very) positive side, it is a great place to go for the view!  Being on the 34-36th floors, there is an incredible feeling of awe. Going up there to appreciate the beautiful view of London is worth the hassle - the outlook extends from Canary Wharf to Parliament.  I went on quite a grey day when visibility was not great, nevertheless, as I am so passionate about this city, my jaw dropped.  Seeing the Tower of London contrasting with City Hall right beneath my feet, and the Shard across the Thames directly in front of me, gave me a strong feeling of admiration and reverence for what an amazing city London is; a city that, more than any other I know, never stops evolving through the centuries.

Therefore, unlike my expectation of the Gardens of Babylon, lush and green in my imagination, the ‘Sky Garden’ of London could potentially be better named as the ultimate ‘London Observatory’. So much to see, so many buildings, sights and even details I take for granted when passing by at street level! Unfulfilled expectations aside, I can’t wait to go back on a sunny afternoon and stay till after sunset!




Written by Valeria Fleury. Valeria is FOCUS Director of Membership.

For more information about FOCUS visit:  www.focus-info.org

Should you wish to share your expat experiences in the UK, please contact us: office@focus-info.org


No comments:

Post a Comment