Thursday 23 April 2015

A WOW exhibition

 

One of the benefits of living in London is having access to incredible exhibitions, so I do try to see as many of them as I can. Sometimes I go because I have studied an artist and want to see their work, other times I go because I know very little about them and am curious to learn more.

The Alexander McQueen Savage Beauty exhibition, recently opened at the V&A, and general consensus had given it amazing reviews so I thought I should not miss it. I took my family to it and even though none of us would be considered a 'fashionista', what we saw blew our minds…

Savage Beauty is brilliantly staged and curated showcasing the different works and phases of McQueen who I would rather call an artist than a fashion designer. He is famous for his innovative and provocative collections and his talent and vision have had a huge impact on the British fashion industry. His creations come alive in each room telling the audience more that just about how they were made. What you
experience while viewing the different works is
hard to translate into words. The artist’s tortured soul and genius have been captured and represented supported by a number of quotes on the walls that help the spectator to understand more of this man and his desire for freedom. 

‘You’ve got to know the rules to break them. That’s what I’m here for, to demolish the rules but to keep the tradition.’ Alexander McQueen

The Cabinet of Curiosities is really amazing and it’s fascinating to see all the materials
that the artist has used for his creations, from feathers to leather, from beads to copper wires, from eggs to horns and crystals. The hats and accessories on display in this wild room are really eccentric and extraordinary and people felt as if they were immersed in a catwalk show.

I am not sure I will ever buy from Alexander McQueen but what I am sure of is that I will not forget the creations I saw at his exhibition!



Written by Alessandra Gnudi. Alessandra is FOCUS Executive Director.

For more information about FOCUS visit:  www.focus-info.org

No comments:

Post a Comment