Friday 31 August 2012

I met the Superhumans



If you have seen the Channel 4 advert, you know I am talking about the paralympians. I enjoyed so much the Olympic Games, both as a volunteer and as a spectator, that I thought I would get disappointed going to the Paralympics. I bought the tickets one year ago during the initial draw. I was then just eager to watch anything, I was applying for everything - I just wanted to be part of it. I am so glad I did!

Yesterday, I went to the Aquatics Centre at the Olympic Park and saw those amazing athletes performing at their best, and even a few world records. Swimmers are grouped according to how their disabilities affect their performance at a certain stroke. So, a swimmer may be classified as 9 for breaststroke, but 10 for freestyle. Some need help to get to the pool or to climb on to the platform, some start already from inside the water, but once they start swimming it is as thrilling as, and sometimes even more remarkable than any other swim race.  
 
In a way, they are true ‘superhumans’. They had to overcome have some horrific stories of car crashes, accidents, wars, childhood illness and birth defects. They have the same (or more) discipline, drive and training as all other Olympic athletes.

I was wondering if I would find the same atmosphere as during the Olympics. I shouldn’t have worried: the organisation was again perfect, the friendly volunteers were there to greet us, Olympic Park  looked amazing (especially when evening came and lights went on) and there were crowds of happy people with flags from different countries. Going to the Olympic Park itself is already an experience on its own.

Although tickets were all sold when they first went on sale (a first for a paralympic event!), there are still some tickets coming up on the resale scheme on the London 2012 website. I have tickets for wheelchair basketball and athletics – I can’t wait to see even more of the superathletes!

by Ana Beatriz Alencar


Visit the FOCUS website www.focus-info.org


1 comment:

  1. Great tips, many thanks for sharing. I have printed and will stick on the wall! I like this blog. Heathrow to Henley taxi

    ReplyDelete