Thursday 8 November 2012

A sense of national pride



I call London home and I even found myself cheering for the UK athletes at the Olympics, willing them to stand proud on the medal table. Having said that, I am still very much an American at heart.  This sense of National pride was never more alive than on Tuesday evening when I was lucky enough to be one of nearly 1200 guests who had gathered for the election night party at the American Embassy. 

The anticipation leading up to this event was great.  The election seemed to capture the interest of many from all parts of the world.  With all eyes already on one of the closest contests in the US ‘s history, the natural disaster on the east coast seemed to compound the attention heaped on this epic showdown. My excitement built as the evening approached.
 
The American Embassy was transformed from a place of business, queues and passport renewal angst to a welcoming venue hosting an exceptional party. There was never a better excuse to celebrate being an American and being a part of a country that values democracy and the freedom to dream of achieving great things. We were graciously welcomed by the Ambassador, Louis B. Sussman, and led by Russell Watson singing the national anthem. The party evolved as the evening progressed and the guests were allowed to roam freely between the grand reception lobby, the media centre filled with US networks covering the election and the Regal Eagle pub offering McDonald’s, drinks and Starbucks coffee for those who needed a shot of Americana or a caffeine boost to make it to the early hours of the morning. 
 
I, unfortunately, didn’t make it to the early hours, when the winner was eventually announced. Instead I was awakened by my son with the results.  It is difficult to convey how special it was to be at the American Embassy for this historic event.  I was happily reminded of my roots! 


by Nancy Dickinson

Visit the FOCUS website: www.focus-info.org

No comments:

Post a Comment