Thursday 1 November 2012

Mind the deer!



Some people lose weight during the summer, but I’m not one of those people. All the lovely BBQ parties and a few too many cocktails and glasses of wine have not done me any good. Every autumn when I have to change from summer dresses to jeans, I notice that my jeans have shrunk at least one size since spring. So, I start a new life! I must say that I envy people who like to run. I just hate it! I will start to pant after 100 metres, my face goes so red that I will scare people around me and my heart rate goes so high that I nearly faint. I must admit, running just isn’t my thing.

I love walking though. I decided to start with Nordic Walking which is even better than just walking because you have the poles in your hand and it provides even better exercise. Nordic Walking is not very popular in this country. Every time I go for a walk somebody asks me where my skis are, or haven’t I noticed that there isn’t any snow etc. I laugh and pretend that I haven’t heard the joke before.
 
I like to go walking in the morning after I have sent my children to school. I’m lucky because I live in Richmond and there is no better place for a nice walk than in Richmond Park. I love the fresh morning air, the sun peeking at you behind the trees and of course – the famous deer who live in the park. I have missed so many wonderful photos, because I have not got my camera with me. So, one morning I decided to take my camera with me. I must say, because I got carried away with all the lovely shots I took, I almost forgot that I was there for exercising!

Suddenly I saw a big herd of male deer with huge antlers standing close to me. I grabbed my camera once again, threw my poles on the ground and started to take photos of the deer. They just stood there and ate grass. They looked so majestic and peaceful. I was so excited and happy when suddenly they started to fight. 
Just in front of me, the two of them put their horns together with a big bang and pushed each other. My knees turned to jelly! I grabbed my poles and tried to get away from them as quickly as I could. I even thought that because of my poles, they may think that I’m some sort of an animal and they could attack me. I think I have never been so scared in my life. All the way to the park gates my only thought was where to I escape if they would start to attack me. Luckily for me, they did not.

I still get a shiver when I think about it. You must be very careful with deer during the autumn because it is their mating season and they might be very aggressive. Although they are used to people around them, they are still wild animals. I’m still going to the park for Nordic Walking, but I now keep my distance from the deer!


by Eva Unt

Visit the FOCUS website www.focus-info.org 

No comments:

Post a Comment