Thursday 29 August 2013

Lost in Aisle 7

Choice is a great thing. Choice we understand is a fundamental privilege many of us are lucky enough to enjoy in various aspects of our lives. When it comes to grocery shopping in Britain I am sometimes frustrated by the lack of choice and no doubt have been known to lose my temper in my local Sainsbury’s when I find my favourite brand has been replaced with some generic compromise, or worse, just removed. However, I have, for the most part, come to terms with life in a smaller country and the fact that at times material choices can be more limiting than in my country of origin.

It dawned on me this summer just how much I had adapted to life in Britain and the daily supermarket food choices. I had the pleasure of spending time in the US in the beautiful state of Maine- vacationland, home of blueberries, lobster and whoopee pies. In fact there is a state-wide debate over whether the state food is blueberries or whoopee pies- tough choice! Going to the grocery store became a popular event (the air conditioning was heaven) although one that always took longer than anticipated. The choices were bewildering!

While looking for 100% pure cranberry juice not from concentrate I became lost in a sea of juice and thought I would never exit aisle 7 alive. I remember as if it were yesterday the Ocean Spray label so familiar from childhood.  This is a no brainer I thought, easy peasy lemon squeezy. Ahhh, but did you know that Ocean Spray produces a zillion varieties of cranberry juice - from concentrate, not from concentrate, cran-apple, cran-raspberry, cran-lemonade, cran-grape, cran-pomegranate… you get the gist.


What amazed me is that for nearly every product on my shopping list from ice cream to Ziploc bags to cereal I was faced with the same task.  Really, I wonder is this choice necessary or even a good thing.

Later in the summer I went to follow a favourite American recipe for cupcakes (I can hear those of you that know my passion for cupcakes laughing) and underwent the task of finding almond extract. This resulted in me crossing State lines to New Hampshire! What happened to all my choices?!

While the UK may not stock an unimaginable variety of household, daily consumables it comes into its own with speciality food shops catering to a multitude of nationalities and tastes. Ditto for restaurants.  Have you ever tried to get a good curry in Maine? Yes, I am happy to have escaped aisle 7 and be back in London even if I do miss blueberries, lobster and whoopee pies!

Written by Nancy Dickinson
For more information please visit www.focus-info.org



No comments:

Post a Comment