Monday 19 August 2013

The non-touristy side of London

I am currently 7 weeks into my stay in London.  I have become so much more used to the culture now that I’ve spent some more time getting acquainted with the lifestyle.  During the first few weeks of my stay I was quite overwhelmed by the fast pace and big city culture that it has to offer.  I originally came to London for an 8 week internship programme with 30 other students from all over America.  As the weeks passed, each one quicker than the last, I knew that 8 weeks was not even close to enough time for my stay because I was just starting to get used to the style of living.
As I said in my previous blog, I almost immediately became friends with a few local Londoners just two days after my arrival.  Instead of spending most of the time that I have off from work with the other 30 Americans from my programme, I decided to branch out and spend a lot of it with my new English friends.  Yes, I do realise that I am part of a programme and I do stay involved, but I came to London to get to really see the parts of London that tourists usually do not.  I came here to meet some people that are different to those that I am used to, which was frightening at first, but I went for it and the results could not be any more rewarding.
My new friends have shown me too many places in London to remember.  They have taken me North, South, East, West, and everywhere in between.  Most of our time together is spent playing football in different parks, going out at night, exploring, and most importantly laughing.  Many people have told me that the English have a very strange sense of humour but I have never laughed and smiled so much in my life.  They are hysterical! 
British people have also been especially welcoming.  I get invited to every social gathering, event, and even just to hang out and watch some television at the flat.  As the end of my 8 week programme has approached, I told my new friends that I would be leaving very soon.  This is when one offered for me to stay at his new flat.  My new friend that I had just met a few weeks ago said, “Stay as long as you want you’re always welcome at my place.”  Wow!  I immediately re-scheduled my flight back home.  I’m now going to be in London for another whole month!  I could not be more thrilled.  I couldn’t have come close to imagining how great this experience would be 7 weeks ago.  I am so grateful.
Written by:  Jared O'Neill
For more information visit:  www.focus-info.org

No comments:

Post a Comment