Tuesday 26 November 2013

My ‘Not-so-secret Garden’


After living in London for more than 10 years I have collected some favourite places, restaurants, streets, alleys.
Battersea Park, not such a secret place at all, but a park that I can almost consider like my own backyard. And that is a place I only discovered a few years ago, when I got my dog and where I often walk him. I consider it my ‘secret’ garden because, during the week and even on weekends, you meet locals with their dogs, children playing sports from local Chelsea schools, but on the whole, there are many corners where one can feel really peaceful, unlike most of the other parks in SW London.


At this time of the year, and especially this year when autumn came a bit later, the shades of yellow and orange are breathtaking! If it weren’t for the sound of the odd plane heading to Heathrow, one would feel like they are in the middle of the countryside, contemplating huge old trees.
My two favourite parts are the west side of the lake, close to the Tropical garden, where  it is very common to spot storks, cranes and other beautiful birds, just posing for you to take a picture. The second one is the café near the Victorian rose garden and fountains, not only for its history (look for the plaque and read about it) but because that is a meeting place for dog owners on Sunday mornings. Dogs of all sizes and colours love to run after each other on the lawn in front of the café which is left ungroomed to look a bit wilder for the furry ones.


Going back to ‘civilization’ by crossing the Albert Bridge is a bonus, especially on a clear day at sunset, which again, at this time of the year is amazing!






 


But before you leave through the small gate leading to the bridge, stop by the Pagoda, on the river bank. It was built by 50 volunteers, monks and nuns between 1984 and 1985, a gift to this beautiful peaceful park, which is by far one of my favourite places in this sometimes chaotic city!




Written by Valeria Fleury who is the Director of Membership at FOCUS.

For more information about FOCUS visit: www.focus-info.org

No comments:

Post a Comment