Thursday 7 November 2013

The value of the IB Diploma from the perspective of an IB - DP Alumni

The International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Programme (DP) is a really interesting curriculum; with the premise being that an IB student can change school and pick-up the programme right from where they left off, whilst simultaneously developing highly adaptive individuals.

Personally I'm not one of the "3rd Generation" kids that lived in multiple cities whilst growing up, but the benefits of the IB weren't lost on me. Due to the vastness of the cultures I had to interact with throughout the Primary Years Programme, Middle Years Programme and Diploma Programme as well as the open-minded principles the IB ingrains in it's students, I developed a sense of cultural awareness that has incalculable value. At the age of 23 I've worked in Angola, Portugal, USA and the UK, and in all countries I felt prepared to interact with the local culture. Not that I knew everything about that particular culture, but I had the inter-personal skills required. Skills that I believe are only developed through experience, and the IB Programmes provided me with just that.


Reality has changed, and the idea of a 'single culture' individual is one that is quickly fading. The paradigm of success is continuously changing - faster than ever - and the most important thing for any student is to pick up the skills that allow them to adapt to this ever changing reality.



The other advantage I've felt, and one I can honestly say is a competitive advantage, is from a 'work ethic' perspective. Many students that go through the IB-DP complain about the workload, and rightfully so. No matter how much work I have to do for my day job, I can honestly say that in relative terms the IB-DP is the single hardest thing I've ever done. An opinion I'm sure is echoed by many IB students around the world. But it isn't all doom and gloom. This forces us to develop mechanisms to handle large workloads with short lead times, and to do so at a very high quality. Something which no doubt is valued by any industry. Combine this with the sense of curiosity that most IB students develop and you're left with highly effective and innovative individuals.

I guess by now you're all wondering why I'm sharing this or that 'surely the IB can't be that great?' You're right, it isn't all glamour. It is an extremely challenging programme that not all students benefit from as they find it overwhelming. However, even though as an alumni I'm biased towards the IB Diploma, I see daily the benefits that having gone through the programme bring me. As such, if writing this post can in any way help a parent or student decide whether (or not) to pursue an IB Diploma, then it was worth writing.

Author Bio: Francisco Moreira graduated from Hult International Business school with a Masters in International business and works as a Business Analyst in Offerings Management at CSC based in London, United Kingdom. Francisco is the author of Find Your Rhythm, (www.findyrhythm.com) a self-help guide for International Baccalaureate Diploma students.



No comments:

Post a Comment